Get ready for a month’s worth of rain overnight and 70mph winds
Yes its raining again !!!
So that's an excuse for savouring this fried and tempting delight called samosa !!!!
There is something so magical about the combination of rain chai and samosa..!!
Samosas are the most popular appetizer not only in India but all over the world.Its surprising to see the craze for samosas here in London ...even the English people love it !!!
...But I don't like the samosas we get here which are wrapped in filo pastry...they just don't taste like our authentic samosas.So I tried making this homemade mini samosa which was worth the effort !!!
All purpose flour/Maida – 2 1/2 cups
Rice flour – 1/4 cup
Ajwain (carom seeds) – 1 tsp
Ghee – 4 tbsp
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Water – about 3/4 cup(lesser the better)
Oil – for deep frying
For the stuffing
5 Medium Potatoes(boiled)
1/4 cup peas
1 tbsp Coriander seeds
1 inch ginger chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 1/2 tsp amchur powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp anardana powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
Salt to taste
- Mix the flour, salt, carom seeds, ghee until the dough resembles coarse sands.
- Now sprinkle the water slowly and form a soft but really stiff dough. Lesser the water better it is.
- Knead the dough well for about 5 mins.Keep the dough covered with plastic wrap or a moist towel and let it rest for an hour.
- For the stuffing heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds and then ginger.Add boiled and crushed potatoes and peas.
- Add amchur,coriander powder,garam masala,red chilli powder ,anardana powder and salt.
- Roast coriander seeds and grind using a rolling pin.Add this crushed coriander to the potato mixture.
- Cook till thee mixture turns light brown and let it cool.
- Make large lemon sized balls of the dough.
- Dust the dough with flour and roll it out thin, about 1/8 inch in thickness, into an oval shape.
- Using a knife cut the rolled dough to make two equal portions.
- Wet the edges and make a cone and fill it with the stuffing. Seal it using a flour and water paste.
- Deep fry the samosa till they turn golden all over. Please note that the oil should not be too hot and fry them on medium low heat.
- Enjoy with tea !!!